Portishead Pilot Gig Club was set up in May 2017 by a group of friendly, experienced gig-rowers on a mission to bring the competitive, social and exciting world of gig rowing to their home town.
Based on the North Somerset coastline, the club has access to the sheltered waters of Portishead Quays Marina and the tidal waters of Bristol Channel.
During the winter, we train hard both in and out of the boat and attend the North Coast Gig League to compete against our local clubs. As the spring comes around we focus our attention on the World Pilot Gig Championships on the Isles of Scilly and the start of the summer racing season.
Whilst we take our racing very seriously, we find there is nothing better than a good old BBQ on the beach; also making sure we have plenty of other social events throughout the year that friends, family and the local community can be a part of.
Our Club Objectives
We passionately believe in our objectives;
- To provide facilities for, promote, and participate in, the amateur sport of Cornish Pilot Gig Rowing in Portishead and surrounding area for the benefit and involvement of the local community.
- To ensure a duty of care for the safety of all members of the club.
- To ensure that all present and future members of the Club receive fair and equal treatment.
- To raise funds to enable the building, support and continued future operation of a Cornish Pilot Gig to be based in Portishead.
- To fulfill this purpose, the Club seeks to encourage participation in the sport of gig rowing for all levels of ability and age groups. Recognising the potential long-term health benefits for young people of generating an early interest in the sport the Club is particularly keen to promote the inclusion and accessibility of gig rowing for Juniors.
- To establish and enhance the identity of Portishead and area by its involvement in the sport of Cornish Pilot Gig Rowing thereby building and developing strong sporting and social links through contact and competition with the many existing and future planned Gig Clubs throughout the South West of England and further afield.
- To regularly take part and compete in the existing Gig Rowing Regattas and to establish an annual regatta in Portishead.
- When successfully established and consolidated, to pursue the construction or acquisition of an additional Pilot Gig (or Gigs) to allow even greater hands-on involvement in the sport for the community